At Cerrejón, the responsible use of water is one of our main priorities. Therefore, we undertake industrial or mining water operations, which are not suitable for human or animal consumption or crop irrigation.

The 89% of the water used in our mining processes comes from rain runoff and coal seams (mining water), used to control dust emissions from our operations. The remaining 11% comes from the Ranchería river and its alluvial aquifer for the consumption of employees and contractors and their families and to deliver to communities in our area of influence. In Puerto Bolívar, 100% of the water used comes from the sea and is treated in a desalination plant.

Thanks to the work of protection and conservation of the watersheds that we carry out inside the mine, the flow of the Ranchería River increases, on average, by 37% as it passes through the operation, as recorded by the measurements provided by the monitoring stations. of IDEAM.

We monitor the quality and quantity of water in the water bodies we interact with. Twenty-nine sensors provide real-time data on the state of surface and groundwater and help us measure various parameters to ensure that our activity complies with Colombian regulations.